Last weekend, I made an escape at out of London with my other half and a few friends. We headed to the capital of Sweden, Stockholm; where nearly everyone’s blonde, tall and good-looking. I was impressed from the get-go by simple mechanisms such as escalators that only work when people step on and wi-fi and plug points on trains. Basic additions that would better our life. Continues on the reverse.
follow YIN on twitter
Stockholm is a beautiful city – peaceful, calm but rather quiet. It’s for people who like the relaxed life, those who want to settle down and have kids. It just lacks a little action, the soul that New York and London have. Saying that the city has so many qualities:
- It’s clean, no chewing gum on floors.
- Better transport system.
- They’re super friendly, polite and helpful. One of my friends was sitting down on the pavement with a stomach pain, at least 5-10 members of the public walked by and asked what was wrong and offered help. You wouldn’t get that in London.
- Wi-fi available in most spots.
- Unlike other European cities I’ve been to, the Swedish are willing to speak to you in English. *Ahem French & Italians*
- If you love Sushi, then Stockholm is your dream destination. Japanese spots on every corner.
- Typography is loved throughout the city. There’s so much of it across the city, in the form of beautiful logos on buildings mainly. Inspiration everywhere.
- They’re obsessed with keeping fit; we must have seen at least 50 people running, kayaking, cycling or working out. I don’t remember seeing any overweight person during my trip – actually felt a little self conscious around the Swedes haha.
- Sweden is the 5th largest country in Europe, also one of the country’s with the lowest population. It’s growing fast!
- Stable economy.
- Media have 100% freedom over what they choose to write about.
- They also have a Royal Family. One where if the eldest child is female, she’d be Queen instead of going to the next male in line to be King.
Right enough of my blabbering, I’ll return to Stockholm one day to work at one of my favourite agencies (need to get my ass to NYC first). Time for a photo story.
Yes I compromised my Newham poshness for a hostel. My friends gave me no choice, wasn’t going to stay at a hotel alone and I quite enjoyed the experience.
Sharing a hostel room with two Filipinas eating jollibee.
Lego tend to follow me everywhere.
Sweden’s only hope?
Heh, apparently had free food and drink here during the England game on Friday. Tis a shame they lost. ENGLAND!
City Hall. Looks like a building out of Assassin’s Creed…
We’re on a boat.
So many colourful buildings.
Had afternoon tea here with the Princess Victoria.
Perfect location for a horror film. I can just imagine Jason X emerging out of the water to kill a few people.
They love boats.
6 cameras including my own. This is what happens when you travel with Asians.
Blue and yellow, blue and yellow, blue and yellow….
Inside City Hall.
You know when someone takes an alternate route to fart.
Inside Central Station.
Dee in the rain.
Still finding the way…
Making a wish upon a wishing tree.
Old with the new.
Look at the current.
Just a few more to go. Image heavy post to say the least.
Sunset has begun…